Bamboo/Sak Yant tattoos by Pitbull Tattoo Phuket – Gallery
The term Sak Yant is a combination of Sak, the Thai word for tattoo, and Yantra, the Sanskrit word for a mystical diagram. Sak Yant is an ancient magical and spiritual practice which employs Buddhist, Brahmin and animist imagery.
In particular, Wat Bang Phra in Nakhom Pathom province is well-known for the Yantra tattooing done by monks living at the temple.
During March each year, there is a tattoo festival at Wat Bang Phra where devotees come to perform a wai khru (paying homage to one’s teacher) ceremony to re-invigorate the magical power of their tattoos. Tattoos for loving-kindness are said to enhance the feeling of benevolence and kindness towards others and simultaneously instill in others the same feelings to oneself.
Learn more about tattoos
- The ultimate guide to getting a tattoo in Thailand
- The origin and history of tattoos
- Top 10 tattoo styles that you need to know
- What you need to know about Japanese tattoos
- What you need to know about color tattoos
- Everything you need to know about black and grey tattoos
More pictures on our socials: